Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday, January 15, 2023

Designing My Soaps to be Beautiful, Interesting and at times Whimsical!

Soap is so simple, most of us don't even think twice about it when we use it. I however, think a lot about it! Aside from offering a quality handmade product I also have a vision of what I want my soaps to look like. I often have a theme for each soap and sometimes make them so their look will change as you use them. For me it is a challenge to come up with mostly different designs for each soap, for my customer I hope it is fun to see the soaps change throughout their use. To me it makes them interesting...am I thinking too much about this? Maybe!

I usually start out with the fragrance then figure out what kind of soap base I will be using. Next comes the theme. Most times I try to incorporate the colors of the flowers, herbs, greenery or fruit that comprises the fragrance. Sometimes I will make a whimsical design like with my Bergamot Handmade Soap which has a round, green soap embedded in the larger soap to mimic the bergamot fruit. I also did this with my Spa Handmade Soap. I made round "soap stones" to mimic natural stones used in the architecture of some spas.

I also try and use interesting textures. Since you cannot swirl melt and pour soap, like you can with cold process soap I am always thinking of new ways to make them visually interesting and also make the tactile experience interesting. In the past I have shaved the soaps to make ridges. Recently I used a method, suggested by my daughter, that made an interesting crinkle design on my Oakmoss Handmade Soap and some Christmas tree soaps.

I also "marbleize" some of the soaps, which always makes for interesting patterns as the soap gets used. With some of my summer soaps I try and make them look like a beach or the sky and grass. 

It is all about making something look beautiful and also having a bit of fun with it too. I look at each soap as a unique work of art that will only be created the same way once. Check out my Etsy shop to see what interesting designs I come up with! MercurialGirlbyGina

Ginađź’—

I made "soap stones" using vegetable based soap and a small amount of activated charcoal.


 
Spa Handmade Soap


I used three popular tuberose colors, pink, yellow and white for my Tuberose Castile Handmade Soap


Salty Sea Breeze Handmade Soap looks like the shoreline at the beach.

 
I tried to make my Summer Weather Changing Handmade Soap look like the sky and grass.

An interesting pattern on my Oakmoss Handmade Soap

 

No comments:

Post a Comment