Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, October 4, 2022

The Gumption to Start a Small Business

How did I get here? I do not have a business background, I have a Masters Degree in Social Work, and I am, shall we say, of middle age vintage. How could I start my own small business? The answer lies in determination, letting go, and learning on your feet.

 Determination

I have always been very individualistic; I always marched to my own drum and had the confidence to do so. After the difficulties of 2020 I realized that I needed a change and wanted to do something I was passionate about, but something totally different from what I had done all my life, career wise. To quote a line from a song of my favorite musician, Peter Murphy, "a howling wind changed my course." (Crystal Wrists) I had a vision for my soap brand and set out to create it. This was something I had never done in my professional life but always wanted to-- to have my own small business. I had worked in retail during my college years so I knew how important branding was.  I opened my Etsy shop and hadn't a clue what I was doing. I learned as I went along and in a short time I felt more confident in my understanding about how a small business runs.

Letting Go

By nature I tend to be a very private person but I have always loved interacting with people, talking, sharing stories, interests, and connecting. After I had my Etsy shop running for a few months I decided to sign up for a local craft fair, again I didn't know what I was doing but I had the confidence that I could figure it out and I just let go and threw myself in! It was a wonderful experience. The positive feedback I received from customers and vendors was priceless. Letting go of insecurities can be a major step in progressing forward in whatever vision you have for your task. I love going to craft fairs now and have made many connections with customers and vendors alike. Sometimes you just have to throw yourself into the ring, so to speak.

Learning on My Feet

The saying "A jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one" is one I identify with. I love learning and I am curious about so many things. I would joke with my parents that if I could stay in school forever I would because I loved learning for its own sake. For as long as I can remember, if I was interested in something, I would read and research everything about it. From music to philosophy, history to gardening, herbal or holistic medicine to soap, the list goes on and on, I self-taught myself on many subjects.  This characteristic helped me to learn what I needed to know about my newly formed business. I sought the information I needed to know from those more experienced than me and did lots of research. It is now easier than ever to find knowledge right at our fingertips!

Taking that first step in trying something new is often the scariest one. Sometimes you just have to throw yourself in and learn as you go. Use your life experience to help you along, ask questions and be curious. Most of all believe in yourself!

Ginađź’—

My first craft fair!



 
A craft fair this past summer 2022; a big difference from my first fair!

My next fall market!

1 comment:

  1. You are an inspiration, MercurialGirl...tx for sharing your business story. --Lady Nice:)

    ReplyDelete